Scottsville Free Library 28 Main Street, Scottsville
The Scottsville Free Library, formerly known as Windom Hall, is one of the most historically significant and prominent structures in the Village of Scottsville. Designed by distinguished architect Charles H. Ellis, the building officially opened on February 17, 1892 as a community hall and theater. For decades, Windom Hall was used for “a variety of social and cultural purposes before coming into the possession of Scottsville Free Library in 1935.”Today, the Scottsville Free Library remains a cornerstone of the community providing residents and patrons with access to an expansive collection of literature, the latest in technological research, video and audio offerings, and enriching programming for all ages. Listed on the “National Register of Historic Places,” Scottsville Free Library is a great source of pride and pleasure for the entire community.
Housed within the library is the Eugene Cox Memorial Local History Room. The Cox Room was established with contributions made to the library in memory of Mr. Cox, who passed away in October 1965. The Cox Room serves as an archive of local history including books, pictures, letters, maps, photographs, school yearbooks, local documents, and vast genealogical material. “The purpose of the room is both to collect and preserve information and documents pertaining to local history and to record current information and activities for historians in the future.” The Cox Room is open on Tuesdays from 1:30-4:40 P.M. and 7:00-8:30 P.M.
For information about the library, its hours of operation, borrowing privileges, the Friends of the Library, or the Cox Local History Room, please call 585.889.2023 or visit them at www.libraryweb.org/scottsville.